[Qgis-developer] QGIS Web Client migrated to GIT

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri May 27 05:05:48 EDT 2011

Hi Andreas

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for the migration. I had a meeting with Pirmin yesterday and we
> started a redmine project for QGIS web client. We already filed a few bugs
> where I don't yet have a solution: see
> http://hub.qgis.org/projects/qgis-web-client

Ok cool. I added myself to the manager list there.

> I think we should also offer a mobile client for Smartphones/Tablets in the
> future based on the newer OpenLayers version. I won't have time before
> autumn to work on it, but maybe someone else wants to start earlier.

For me its not a priority as well - I am doing some work for a client
and they have agreed we can contribute any improvements back to the
web client project so I will try to make my changes in a generic way
as far as possible.

>> We will be doing some refactoring to try to make better separation of
>> the user configurable parts from the generic parts. Most likely we
>> will just rename user configurable files to .templ and provide
>> instructions that those files should be copied like so:
>>
>> cp file.templ file
>>
>> When setting up the project. We will document the procedures required etc.
>
> I do not understand the idea with the .templ files. I actually tried to keep
> everything "configurable" in the file js/GlobalOptions.js - do you think
> there are additional parameters that need to be configurable?

In our testing there are three files that need configuring:

- index.html (we added this to make a more user friendly landing page
so that user doesnt need to remember urls with ?map=foo in them.
- index.xml (at the moment this has Uster specific stuff in)
- js/GlobalOptions (also has project specific stuff in it)

We didnt implement search stuff here yet so that would also get added
to the above list probably.

We want to separate anything that the user will change in his
deployment from stuff that is version controlled in git. This way a
user makes no fork of the project when he customises it for his site,
and can benifit from upstream updates and improvements.

We also rename icons to gis_icons by the way because if you deploy it
in the default apache route the /icons alias is already take by apache
and no icons show in the ui.

I'm also making more changes to my own fork which creates more of a
directory structure and tries to make it as easy as possible for a new
project to be deployed. It looks something like this for me at the
moment:
.
├── apache-conf
├── cgi-bin
├── data
├── readme.txt
├── sample_wms_requests.txt
├── site
└── wsgi

I am creating a simple hello world project too so that when using a
default deployment, the user gets a working usable app out of the box.
The data for the project is included in the repo i a simple
spatiallite db.

Hopefully these updates are acceptible for you and Pirmin (and others
interested).

>> Those who need access to the QGIS Web Client team so that they can
>> push directly to the official repo please let me know and I will add
>> you.
>

> Can you please add me?

Sure - can you confirm your github user name please?

Thanks

Tim

> Thanks,
> Andreas