[Qgis-developer] grass provider linking weirdness

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon May 30 11:37:46 EDT 2011

On May 30, 2011, at 1:53 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> On Sun, 29. May 2011 at 20:31:14 -0500, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> I noticed that the grass provider is now a library instead of a module, and
>> is linked to by the grass plugin.  If there are functions the grass plugin
>> needs from the grass provider, shouldn't they be moved to the qgisgrass
>> library and leave the provider as a module?  It's messed up the Mac install
>> processing, at least.
>
>> From my POV the grass provider linking weirdness is gone now. ;)
>
> grassprovider.cpp was linked into both the library and the provider.  Now it's
> only in the provider and the provider is also linked to the plugin as it needs
> some methods from the provider.
>
> What's the problem on mac with that?

It just seems logically and organizationally wrong: providers and plugins are modules that QGIS loads, not libraries that the system linker loads as required by binaries.  If all of the grass provider was in the library before, why not just leave it only in the library instead and drop the provider?  Is there a requirement to have a provider?  Otherwise, move the provider to lib/.

The Mac issue is that the install processing adjusts the internal linking paths for the Mac app package organization.  It does all *.so files in plugins and *.dylib files in lib, so I'll have to make a special case to do the one *.dylib in the plugins folder.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.