[Qgis-developer] release of 1.7

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue May 31 10:35:19 EDT 2011

Hi all

I'm in favour of releasing 1.7 now. The release was already planned for March
and was shifted then. There will always be a large number of bugs in the
queue, even with donations. Maybe we even discover more of them in a beta
version :-)

Seriously, 1.7 feels to me to have a similar stability as 1.6 (or even
better). I'm concerned shifting the release further and further has a bad
impact on motivation of users and developers. Wouldn't it be an option to make
a stable branch (1.7.1, 1.7.2) with the possibility for developers to backport
bugfixes?

Regards,
Marco

Am Dienstag, 31. Mai 2011, 13.03:27 schrieb Borys Jurgiel:
> Dnia wtorek, 31 maja 2011 o 09:30:25 Paolo Cavallini napisał(a):
> > Hi all.
> > Am I the only one to feel uncomfortable releasing 1.7 with 60 bugs
> > classified as blocking?
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/report/16
> > IMVHO we should examine them, and either reclassify them or solve them
> > before release. My feeling is that 1.7 at this stage has significantly
> > more issues than most previous versions, and could be disappointing for
> > many of our users.
> > I hope to be wrong, of course.
> > All the best.
>
> Oh, I've missed your mail. Are there real chances for solving them in June?
> If yes, please don't count my vote for releasing now, it's worth of
> waiting IMHO. Anyway, I believe we should release at least 1.7beta, as
> it's much more stable than the 1.8-dev.
>
> I didn't use the 1.7-dev windows package very much - just on three
> trainings (each covered another functions), but I never had any
> significant problems with it. In my personal feeling the only one really
> buggy and disappointing release was 1.4 and the 1.7 is *far* better :)

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland