[Qgis-developer] release of 1.7

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue May 31 13:23:01 EDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 05:35 PM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm in favour of releasing 1.7 now. The release was already planned for March
> and was shifted then. There will always be a large number of bugs in the
> queue, even with donations. Maybe we even discover more of them in a beta
> version :-)
>
> Seriously, 1.7 feels to me to have a similar stability as 1.6 (or even
> better). I'm concerned shifting the release further and further has a bad
> impact on motivation of users and developers. Wouldn't it be an option to make
> a stable branch (1.7.1, 1.7.2) with the possibility for developers to backport
> bugfixes?

Yes, please do consider that route!
IMHO, QGIS has reached a very full and varied feature set, competing
honorably with other proprietary software. The hesitation to further
adopting QGIS in enterprise environments comes from instability, bugs,
and the constant "fixed in the next release" answers. We don't need more
features, rather what's now available always working on all platforms. I
realize that devs want new challenges, but users want what they already
know...

Thanks,
Micha
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> Am Dienstag, 31. Mai 2011, 13.03:27 schrieb Borys Jurgiel:
>> Dnia wtorek, 31 maja 2011 o 09:30:25 Paolo Cavallini napisał(a):
>>> Hi all.
>>> Am I the only one to feel uncomfortable releasing 1.7 with 60 bugs
>>> classified as blocking?
>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/report/16
>>> IMVHO we should examine them, and either reclassify them or solve them
>>> before release. My feeling is that 1.7 at this stage has significantly
>>> more issues than most previous versions, and could be disappointing for
>>> many of our users.
>>> I hope to be wrong, of course.
>>> All the best.
>> Oh, I've missed your mail. Are there real chances for solving them in June?
>> If yes, please don't count my vote for releasing now, it's worth of
>> waiting IMHO. Anyway, I believe we should release at least 1.7beta, as
>> it's much more stable than the 1.8-dev.
>>
>> I didn't use the 1.7-dev windows package very much - just on three
>> trainings (each covered another functions), but I never had any
>> significant problems with it. In my personal feeling the only one really
>> buggy and disappointing release was 1.4 and the 1.7 is *far* better :)

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918
http://www.surfaces.co.il