[Qgis-developer] Database plugins

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Sat Nov 12 04:28:53 EST 2011

On Nov 12, 2011, at 12:01 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all.
> The current situation of database (PostGIS and SpatiaLIte) plugin in QGIS is complex, and extremely confusing for users.
> We tried to summarize the current situation here:
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Database
> Our aim is to have one general purpose plugin, and include it in core QGIS. We are committed to its long-term support.
> I would like to ask plugin developers to join forces, and cooperate to add all the useful functions to it. Of course nobody is forced to do it, but I think it it in the interest of everybody not to duplicate work. Of course in case of collaboration due credits will be given to everybody.
> Please share your thoughts.
> All the best.

As long as you are planning to overhaul the PostGIS import process, why not use ogr2ogr instead of shp2pgsql?

This would allow import of a bunch of formats in addition to shapefiles.

I agree it is time for SPIT to go---it has a lot of little nits hiding in the corners...

-gary

Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
  http://geoapt.com