[Qgis-developer] Database plugins

Giuseppe Sucameli brush.tyler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 05:32:23 EST 2011

Hi Gary,

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Gary Sherman <gsherman at geoapt.com> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2011, at 12:01 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> As long as you are planning to overhaul the PostGIS import process, why not use ogr2ogr instead of shp2pgsql?

I developed the Import Vector Feature as part of the GSoC 2011,
it allows to import vector layer using QGis providers.
The idea was to use that new feature also to create new PostGIS
layers from QGis GUI, but even to save a layer as a SL/PG table.

In this moment the DBManager plugin only (another part of my GSoC)
supports import vector feature by drag'n'drop layers.

Anyway that feature is in master yet and works on OGR, PostGIS
and SpatiaLite providers.
It probably needs some improvements, but it seems to works quite
well right now.

Regards.

> This would allow import of a bunch of formats in addition to shapefiles.
>
> I agree it is time for SPIT to go---it has a lot of little nits hiding in the corners...
>
> -gary

> Gary Sherman
> GeoApt LLC
>  http://geoapt.com