[Qgis-developer] QIGS GPL -> LGPL - Tigers, Lions and Bears Oh My!

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Thu Nov 17 05:03:56 EST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 17. November 2011, 10.22:10 schrieb Noli Sicad:
> OK. I understand now.
>
> However, if you sell the plugin or give it to the third party, then
> this is consider - public release, right?

I'm not 100% sure here, the GNU faq says:

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL
requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users,
under the GPL.

'the program's user' would then be the one you hand out the binary version?

Regards,
Marco

> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Noli
>
> On 11/17/11, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> > Hi Noli,

> >> This is interesting take about GPL and QGIS plugins.
> >>
> >> It means that the QGIS plugins is LGPL in this case.
> >
> > Why?  The plugin is also GPL.
> >
> >> If It is GPL, we the public can demand that QGIS plugin should be
> >> available publicly both the source and binary.
> >
> > No.  Nobody is required to distribute at all.
> >
> > But if it's done, the source code has to be shipped too.  So unless the
> > thing is
> > public, only the client who got the plugin from the developer has a right
> > to source.
> >
> > But there's nothing restricting the client to disclose it - but also
> > nothing requiring him to do so.   If he does gives a binary to you, you
> > can demand the
> > source from him.
> >

> > Jürgen
> >
> > --
> > Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel.
> > +49-4931-918175-20 Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13
> > Fax. +49-4931-918175-50 Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden
> >       http://www.norbit.de
> >
> > --
> > norBIT Gesellschaft fuer Unternehmensberatung und Informationssysteme mbH
> > Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
> > GF: Jelto Buurman, HR: Amtsgericht Emden, HRB 5502

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland