[Qgis-developer] QIGS GPL -> LGPL - Tigers, Lions and Bears Oh My!

jr.morreale at enoreth.net jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Thu Nov 17 05:09:24 EST 2011

While we are on this subject, I would advice the reading of the only
source that matters :

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

About plugin's licensing :
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

to sum it up, you release your plugin under any other license
recognized as compatible :

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

And now my selfish view on the subject :
- GPL to LGPL would need agreement of every past and present
contributor or the rewrite of their contributed code
- a dual licensing such as Qt implies that the contributor agrees to a
Contribution License Agreement, honk if you like administravia
- giving people the possibility of releasing closed product based on a
open product (even without direct modification to qgis) brings no
positive return to the project, allows users and clients to be tied to
one company, make it easier to have segmentation of the dev effort

Let's be honest here, if you give something to someone in the hope that
someday, somehow he'll repay you then I've a good deal to offer you :)