[Qgis-developer] Why I'm not going to use hub.plugins.org for my plugins

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Nov 21 06:27:42 EST 2011

Hi

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/11/21 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Two reasons:
>>>
>>> once you create a project you cannot delete id:
>>> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4546
>>>

>> I'm not sure if redmine can be set up so that a user can only delete
>> their own created projects. If not we would need to use some other
>> approach e.g. file a ticket.
>
> This seems like a serious limitation in the ACL.
> I won't use something I can't control... but maybe it's just me.

There are hundreds of redmine plugins out there, probably there is one
to let users delete their projects. I still wonder if it is a good
idea for other reasons though - if I file a bug against your project
and spent time and effort on working with your plugin I may not want
to see my work on your redmine project dissapear overnight because you
became bored with it. Better in my mind that an admin delete it after
giving it some consideration.

>>> I cannot create a subproject of "User Contributed Plugins"
>>> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4545
>>>

>> According to your profile, you have 'manager' role which should allow
>> you to create subprojects. Can you post me a screenshot of what you
>> see under:
>>
>> http://hub.qgis.org/projects/<your project>/settings ?
>>

> this is the page where I'm supposed to see the "Create subproject" link.
>
> http://www.imagebanana.com/view/28xeouiw/redmine_subprj.png

But from your own new project on the settings tab, do you not have an
option to choose what the parent of the project is?

Regards

Tim

> Thank you Tim for helping.
>
> More generally speaking, if we want to push plugin authors to use the
> central hub we need to make this app work really smoothly. We cannot
> pretend that a user creates a project then start opening tickets every
> time he need to change something: frustration guaranteed.
>

> --
> Alessandro Pasotti
> w3:   www.itopen.it

 * QGIS programming and support services