[Qgis-developer] QGIS web apps

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 14:37:35 EDT 2011

2011/10/6 Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>:
> Hi all
>
> while looking at the django web apps at plugins.qgis.org I have
> collected some thoughts and ideas for improvements:

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your comments, I've added below some links to the
existing tickets for some of your thoughts.

> - on a related topic, the title and header for all apps is "Quantum
> GIS Plugin Repository" - maybe "Quantum GIS - [appname]" would be
> better

Please file a new ticket for this.

> - the welcome page http://plugins.qgis.org/ is dull. A list with the
> app names (+icons?) and a short description may improve the
> experience. Or planet could work as a welcome page.

ticket filed long time ago:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/15

I think that the Home Page should list 5 plugins (latest or popular),
5 snippets (latest), 5 planet posts (latest) and 5 users (latest or
random)

> - snippets: what is the state of this app? there are various links
> leading to a 404 pages

Please file a ticket.

> - plugins: currently the list of plugins lists max 5 plugins per page.
> Could this be changed to a higher number, eg. 20?

Ticket added earlier today:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4354

> - plugins: I believe that the plugin list could be greatly simplified.
> In my opinion the list should enable users to find interesting plugins
> - for that they do not need version number, when the plugin was
> created etc. The amount of information makes the important things less
> visible - we need to show plugin name (with larger font), icon,
> description and maybe author+downloads with a small font. All the
> other information can be listed in plugin details page.
>
> Any comments?

+1 for simplify.

We could also hide/show details with some js tricks.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it