[Qgis-developer] adding python interpreter to QGis mapserver to expose analysis routines

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri Oct 21 05:18:27 EDT 2011

Hi all

It would be great to have a mapscript equivalent for QGIS server, so the
possibility to modify the request before it arrives at QgsWMSServer class.

> GeoServer will provide WMS, WCS and WFS automatically for the data.
> That could also QGIS server do by default. But with the gateway
> interface QGIS could provide some custom services, maybe working
> properly only with some specific data.

What would be the benefit of the gateway interface class compared to other
services using FastCGI? E.g. if one want to build a WFS/WPS service with QGIS,
the obvious solution would be to create qgis_wps_serv.fcgi or similar. Is it
the idea to have shared service functionality on service level which is
specific to QGIS services?

Regards,
Marco

Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2011, 22.54:30 schrieb Martin Dobias:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I am not sure if such implicit (automatic) registration would be good.
> >> Imagine that you have several web services. You would like to run a
> >> public WMS server and also another bunch of services for a limited
> >> group of users. Having all the services available in both instances
> >> would not be very good - e.g. with a WMS server you may automatically
> >> provide WPS server.
> >
> > Looking at similar architectures, Geoserver seems to work this way,
> > leaving to a security/configuration layer to enable and control the
> > availability of the extensions.
> > Anyway, we can avoid an automatic discovering, and control their exposure
> > through a configuration system (eg a simple configurations file).
>
> GeoServer will provide WMS, WCS and WFS automatically for the data.
> That could also QGIS server do by default. But with the gateway
> interface QGIS could provide some custom services, maybe working
> properly only with some specific data.
>
> Martin

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland