[Qgis-developer] adding python interpreter to QGis mapserver to expose analysis routines

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:07:21 EDT 2011

2011/10/21 Marco Hugentobler <marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch>

> Hi all
>
> It would be great to have a mapscript equivalent for QGIS server, so the
> possibility to modify the request before it arrives at QgsWMSServer class.
>
> > GeoServer will provide WMS, WCS and WFS automatically for the data.
> > That could also QGIS server do by default. But with the gateway
> > interface QGIS could provide some custom services, maybe working
> > properly only with some specific data.
>
> What would be the benefit of the gateway interface class compared to other
> services using FastCGI? E.g. if one want to build a WFS/WPS service with
> QGIS,
> the obvious solution would be to create qgis_wps_serv.fcgi or similar. Is
> it
> the idea to have shared service functionality on service level which is
> specific to QGIS services?

I think that the main benefit would be having a single interface to manage,
both on the side of fcgi configurations (eg Apache) and global, server,
configurations.
I imagine that one could expose some services depending on the overall
configuration, or per user, or per domain, etc.
Geoserver let services share functionalities, being "beans" managed by the
server context available to any service. Anyway this could be a future
feature (I suppose it would take not a small time to be designed and
implemented), but having a single gateway opens to this possibility too.

giovanni