[Qgis-developer] Map vs. Line line labelling orientation

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 11:45:33 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the intended behaviour of
> the "Map" vs. "Line" orientation for line labelling.
>
> Is there any at all ?
>
> So far the only differences I see seem to be bugs in handling
> of one or another. In particular at time of writing (a2a6e786)
> the behaviour of "Above line" and "Below line" change if "Map"
> or "Line" are selected, but the behavior for "Map" seems to
> make no sense.

Sandro,

the intended semantics is as follows:
- with the "map" orientation the "above line" and others should work
as one would expect: the label should appear above the line
- using "line" orientation the "above line" actually means "on the
left side of the line" - so that in case of left-to-right line there
is no difference to "map" orientation, in case of right-to-left line
the meaning of above/below is reversed to "map" orientation.

Does that make sense to you?

Regards
Martin