[Qgis-developer] Expression based labeling

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Oct 27 03:46:38 EDT 2011

 Hi Nathan and others,

 Thanks for developing the expression based labeling. Wow - it really
 looks great.

 I have two questions and a remark:

 Question 1: the output preview of the label does not seem to work when
 I use a field - is there something I need to do to enable it? I would
 expect it to pull in the first record or some random record to retrieve
 values?

 Question 2: how does it handle empty fields (null values)? would string
 concatenation still work or do we need to coalesce() like in PostreSQL?

 Remark:
 wouldn't it be cleverer to use your great new query builder and
 introduce the concept of a "virtual column" in the data provider? This
 way we could use your query builder for labeling, for tooltips, for read
 only display in tables and forms and in the identify tool. Potentially
 in the future in other scenarios as well? The query builder would then
 extend the data provider and introduce a new virtual column which could
 then be treated like all other columns, but read only.

 Thanks a lot for your cool work and feature enhancement towards
 labeling!

 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A