[Qgis-developer] New Labeling:

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Sep 13 15:39:20 EDT 2011

Hi Andrew,

The logic is that one often wants label positions separate from the
actual geometry. The new label tool allows x/y positions not only for
point geometries (where one can use the point geometry), but also for
line and area features. If x/y columns are empty, QGIS uses the featurue
geometry, if one manually moves the labels, x/y columns are used. This
way one can mix manual and automatic labeling.

If you want fully automatic labeling just create dummy x/y columns and
never manually move labels around.

Does it sound illogical to you?

Andreas