[Qgis-developer] Feature: Auto saving for layers

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Sep 17 07:51:07 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did have a look at your code when I started working on the auto save layer
> thing.  I didn't take that approach as I didn't think relying
> on renderComplete would work with saving layers.  In my mind I would like
> QGIS to check for a auto save every N minutes even if I'm not pan or
> rendering a map, say I'm setting up a tool or messing with the composer.  Or
> I leave my workstation and forget to save (of course auto saving is not an
> excuse for being lazy and not hitting the save button).

 Good point. With my system the most you'll lose is if an autosave
happens and then you work like mad for N-1 minutes and then go take a
break for a while and you trip over the power lead on the way back.
With a timer system you can still lose N-1 minutes work if you trip
over the power lead on the way out :)

 I think I may have initially tried the timer method, but possibly
switched to signals after having some isses with python and QTimers
and possibly threads. It will be interesting to see how its done with
timers.

Barry