[Qgis-developer] QGIS 64bit version for Windows

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Sep 20 06:23:04 EDT 2011

 Hi,

 There are more and more 64bit Windows machines around me (luckily). As
 a result I sometimes get the question if a 64bit QGIS Windows version
 exists. I am personally also working on a Win7 64bit machine, but I am
 using the OSGeo4W 32bit version - which works fine but doesn't profit
 from an increased availability of memory, etc.

 Question:
 * how hard/how much work would it be to build a 64bit Windows version?
 * Would the benefits gained be worth the effort or would one hardly
 note any difference between a 64bit version and the current 32bit
 version?

 Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann