[Qgis-developer] QGIS 64bit version for Windows

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 20 12:28:43 EDT 2011

On 09/20/2011 03:23 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are more and more 64bit Windows machines around me (luckily). As a
> result I sometimes get the question if a 64bit QGIS Windows version
> exists. I am personally also working on a Win7 64bit machine, but I am
> using the OSGeo4W 32bit version - which works fine but doesn't profit
> from an increased availability of memory, etc.
>
> Question:
> * how hard/how much work would it be to build a 64bit Windows version?
> * Would the benefits gained be worth the effort or would one hardly note
> any difference between a 64bit version and the current 32bit version?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.
>
> Andreas

I would also love to see a 64bit version, maybe this would make the jump
to a newer python in OSGeo4w somewhat simpler too by being able to leap
frog the 32bit version without having to wait for everything.

My users are power users and would benefit greatly from speed increases
of 64 bit. Is 32bit QGIS restricted to less than 4 GB of ram when on a
64bit Windows? If so my users would benefit here, all new machines in my
lab have 8 GB of ram or more.

Thanks,
Alex