[Qgis-developer] problem in creating new postgis layer

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Sep 20 09:00:30 EDT 2011

 In QGIS you cannot create a new Postgis layer without the help of a
 Plugin. You can use the Postgis manager plugin or the new db manager
 plugin. Both are python plugins.

 Alternatively you can create a new empty Postgis layer in pgAdmin3 (I
 usually go this route for maximum flexibility) or with the text-based
 psql client. See
 http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.5/ch04.html#Create_Spatial_Table

 Or are you looking at ways to create a new Postgis-Layer with Python?
 Maybe have a look at the source code of the above mentioned plugins?

 Andreas

 On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:12:09 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi everyone .
> My problem is that I am unable to create a new postgis layer and also
> having problem in saving the changes made on it.
> I am able to open an already existing postgis layer but i don't know
> how to create a postgis layer at runtime and also, suppose i
>  have opened a postgis layer and I am doing some kind of manipulation
> on it, then how will I be able to save it
>
> (presently I am doing it by connection python to the postgis using
> psycopg2 but I want to know whether there is any
>  qgis api available for it to happen)

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)