[Qgis-developer] Module piping GUI [Was: analytical workflow]

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:44:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Camilo Polymeris <cpolymeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> in an earlier thread, the implementation of "analytical workflows"
> --sets of modules with linked inputs and outputs-- was discussed.
> While this can currently be attained using Python scripts, a GUI to
> interactively construct these workflows would be a nice addition to
> the userfriendliness of the processing framework.
>
> Two main possible designs for this GUI came up:
>
> Either, a "connect-the-boxes"-style GUI (a graph):
> [...]
> or, a patchbay-style GUI:

Hi Camilo

for me the former (a graph with boxes and arrows) is definitely much
better solution. The graph makes the structure pretty clear. With the
patchbay-style I feel quite lost how the overall data flow would look
like.

Anyway the implementation using a graph should not require a lot of
work - there is Qt graphics view framework that greatly simplifies the
whole task.

Regards
Martin