[Qgis-developer] Module piping GUI [Was: analytical workflow]

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:51:54 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

in an earlier thread, the implementation of "analytical workflows"
--sets of modules with linked inputs and outputs-- was discussed.
While this can currently be attained using Python scripts, a GUI to
interactively construct these workflows would be a nice addition to
the userfriendliness of the processing framework.

Two main possible designs for this GUI came up:

Either, a "connect-the-boxes"-style GUI (a graph):

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Johan Van de Wauw
<johan.vandewauw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sextante has a nice modeler tool - it may be a good example how it could work:
> http://www.gvsig.com/files/images/screenshots/gvSIG_Sextante_02.png

or, a patchbay-style GUI:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Camilo Polymeris <cpolymeris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A bit like qjackctl's patchbay:
>> http://ubuntu.allmyapps.com/data/q/j/qjackctl-jack-control/UBUNTU-9.04/qjackctlPatchbayForm1.png
>>
>> It looks tidier and would also be a bit easier to implement than
>> free-floating boxes.

While the former seems to be a more popular choice among existing
software, I favor the latter option, because it would better handle
numerous I/Os.

Your opinion on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Camilo