[Qgis-developer] GSoC deadline (was: Working on Symbology Improvement for the GSOC)

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:09:18 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM, aruntheguy at gmail.com
<aruntheguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Completed the Proposal in all aspects. Open to review.
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/tecoholic/1

Hi

in general your proposal looks good. My suggestions:
1. support for hierarchies (symbol groups) in style should be done
first, so that non-recursive GUI in next step can immediately count
with usage of hierarchies.
2. regarding legend functionality - I would prefer to keep the legend
interaction to a bare minimum necessary for non-modal symbol editing
in dock widget. The reasons are mainly technical: a) mapping the
operations in legend to renderers may be difficult; b) legend widget
code as of now is not in the best shape, pending refactoring to
model/view approach etc. There are other things that would welcome
some usability improvements, e.g. a) add support for color ramps
defined by a palette (list of colors) - currently only hardcoded
ColorBrewer palettes are supported; b) faster/simpler color selection
- instead of showing a big color dialog, it would be better to have
just a small popup with color triangle or with commonly used colors -
color dialog would be an advanced option; c) poor man's sharing of
symbols: user enters an URL, its content would be downloaded and
imported to style; d) anything else :-)

Regards
Martin