[Qgis-developer] stupid git

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 01:11:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com>wrote:

> No matter how much people rave about git, I still find it more difficult
> than svn.

Of course, it's a completely different beast.  Git being distributed vs the
central svn makes things a lot more powerful but a little bit harder.

> So, my local release-1_8 branch refuses to merge and I can't backport my
> install doc updates from master.  I think I successfully did a reset, but
> trying to push my commit gives a error about a non-fast-forward updates.

The following should get your local release tree back into line with
upstream (main git repo) release-1_8

git checkout release-1_8
git fetch upstream
git reset --hard upstream/release-1_8
git rebase upstream/release-1_8

now to get your commits over from master just use cherry pick:

git cherry-pick bd916b1
git cherry-pick 2a126af

To keep your local up to date just do:

git pull --rebase upstream release-1_8