[Qgis-developer] GSoC: a student introduces himself

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Apr 15 18:33:18 EDT 2012

Hi Evgeniy

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Евгений Пашенцев <ugnpaul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I am Evgeniy Pashentsev.
>
> I have committed the proposal of the Vector Layer Generalization Project
> here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/eugenpaul/1
> But I didn't interact with your community, that is my fault. I asked
> Alexander
> Bruy a few questions about my cloud recognition plugin for QGIS, so he could
> confirm that I am an existing student. I think, you may want to know
> something else about me. I am available via skype (skype_id: ugnpaul).
> I am from Voronezh, Russia (UTC +4) and you could find me on-line
> something around UTC 7:00 - 14:00 and 18:00 - 21:00. If there is a better
> way to communicate, please, let me know. I'm waiting for responses of
> those who are interested in my project and me. Sorry for being so late.

Thanks for the introduction - some of us have read your proposal and
are quite interested in what you will do. I'm not sure if the
different approaches you mention take this account, but perhaps your
approach can also take into account the pixel resolution of the render
device - since there is never any reason to draw more than one of the
features vertices per pixel, and if a feature is completely contained
within a pixel it can be simply drawn as a coloured pixel. Perhaps
this approach is less efficient than simply rendering everything but
it may be work looking into.

Optimisation of our render routines will certainly be a welcome
addition to QGIS!

Regards

Tim
> Thank you.