[Qgis-developer] Add a simpler default setting for a fresh installation

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Apr 16 05:11:24 EDT 2012

 Hi,

 I agree with all of your ideas, except for adding the north icon and
 the scalebar by default. The map always points north in QGIS, so why the
 arrow? Also, the map scale is already in the status bar, so why the
 double information?

 All other suggestions make sense to me.

 I would also add the following default settings:

 Tab Map Tools:
 - mode: Top down, stop at first hit
 - checkbox enabled for "open object form if only a single result ..."

 Andreas

 On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:05:01 +0200, MORREALE Jean Roc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to change the default parameters of QGIS ? For
> now a new user gets all the tool bars on the first launch and most of
> the tools are not visible. Some such as advanced digitizing, grass,
> overview should be off by default. The others should be spread out,
> for example the navigation bar could be set on one side of the
> application.
>
> Somme other changes could be :
>
> - to activate the north icon and the scale bar for the canevas
> - to add a default 10 pixel radius for snapping tolerance and vertex
> edit
> - activate "show makers only for selected features"
> - switch to "zoom to mouse cursor" to have the same behavior than
> most of the web-mapping tools
>
> These changes would make the software less frightening, less
> cluttered for newcomers.
>
> Regards,
> MORREALE Jean-Roc

 Andreas Neumann