[Qgis-developer] SEXTANTE backends

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Tue Apr 17 08:51:02 EDT 2012

Hi,

Does the Qgis plugin system support dependency between plugin ?

Now that there is (already !) a lot of backends integrated directly into
the core plugin, I guess there will be more and more people proposing
improvements. I think moving to a DVCS would help, so that people can
"pull-request" you, with all the advantages of dvcs : lower down patch
work for you, honor contributors in the code base by preserving
authoring, help for work on more mid/long-term feature before
integration into your reference repository, etc...
If my understanding is ok, the redmine instance can host a git
repository, at the cost of two mouse clicks.
Victor, others, what's your opinion on this ?

About integration of the binaries, as discussed at the HF, I'm afraid
this would be impossible to maintain. Probably even impossible to do at all.
It makes no sense on linux where the habit is to install software
system-wide through the package manager.
My opinion is that it is a packager-related issue, and should not
interfere with the plugin deployment.
Even for windows, a package can be a bit more than just a zip to unzip.
You'll be reimplementing osgeo4w-setup inside your plugin if you take
that road.

For windows, I see there is already a "qgis-grass-plugin" osgeo4w package.
Maybe there could be a qgis-sextante-providers package, sort of virtual
package depending on all the necessary packages for sextante backends ?
Then, if it proves usefull and stable enough, it could even be
integrated in the standalone qgis installer so that people downloading
qgis out of osgeo4w also can get saga/otb/... easily ?
Someone would need to step up to provide and maintain a saga osgeo4w
package [1]. The rest of the current sextante backends are already packaged.
Such "sextante" virtual package is something which is doable on
Debian-based distros (I don't know anything about non-Debian-based linux...)

Julien

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/273