[Qgis-developer] Raster colours

jjg j.j.green at gmx.fr
Wed Aug 1 07:02:24 PDT 2012

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> I have a doubt regarding licences though - it would not be ok for use
> to supply the files, but it would be OK to write software to fetch the
> data automatically?

I believe this is correct.  I accept contribution to the site on the
explicit
condition that they be "free to use", i.e., that anyone can download and
use them in their own work, possibly with attribution etc.

I try my hardest to get people to specify a licence, but sometimes they
are impossible to contact, and sometimes they just have a text like this:

  http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/es/copying.html

(this particularly true on deviantArt) Rather than exclude the gradients I
just post the licence that they have specified.

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> Also, I was wondering if you would mind that the use of this automatic
> downloading in QGis could impose a burden on your site... could we
> host a mirror copy on qgis.org, or would that infringe on the
> licences?

If a "fetch when updated" script as posted earlier is used, then there
will not be a problem -- the package.xml file is very small (for the
checks) and the zipfiles are a couple of MB, I can handle a few hundred
downloads before I reach bandwidth limits.

Formally, I think that mirroring these files would be 3rd party
redistribution, so would be suspect.

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> Attached is a screenshot of the interface I made to cpt-city
> gradients. There are some things to improve, but it's functional.

That's very nice.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to the
packages that would make this easier (eg, metadata in directories
etc) and I will see what I can do

Jim