[Qgis-developer] Raster colours

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:32:33 PDT 2012

Hi Jim,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM, jjg <j.j.green at gmx.fr> wrote:

> Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote
>>
>> I have a doubt regarding licences though - it would not be ok for use
>> to supply the files, but it would be OK to write software to fetch the
>> data automatically?
>>

> I believe this is correct.  I accept contribution to the site on the
> explicit
> condition that they be "free to use", i.e., that anyone can download and
> use them in their own work, possibly with attribution etc.

ok this is great

> I try my hardest to get people to specify a licence, but sometimes they
> are impossible to contact, and sometimes they just have a text like this:
>
>   http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/es/copying.html
>
> (this particularly true on deviantArt) Rather than exclude the gradients I
> just post the licence that they have specified.
>

> Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote
>>
>> Also, I was wondering if you would mind that the use of this automatic
>> downloading in QGis could impose a burden on your site... could we
>> host a mirror copy on qgis.org, or would that infringe on the
>> licences?
>>

> If a "fetch when updated" script as posted earlier is used, then there
> will not be a problem -- the package.xml file is very small (for the
> checks) and the zipfiles are a couple of MB, I can handle a few hundred
> downloads before I reach bandwidth limits.

Yes your .xml file is indeed small, so having the app querying once a
week for updates would not be a burden.

However, you might find more than a hundred downloads of the zip file,
when the next main stable QGis version (2.0) is released, with this
feature.

> Formally, I think that mirroring these files would be 3rd party
> redistribution, so would be suspect.

I guess the .deb packages are only available from your site?

> Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote
>>
>> Attached is a screenshot of the interface I made to cpt-city
>> gradients. There are some things to improve, but it's functional.
>>

> That's very nice.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to the
> packages that would make this easier (eg, metadata in directories
> etc) and I will see what I can do

In fact - I found that things that were missing:
1) a list of gradients and their variants (e.g. ColorBrewer)
2) names associated to the various directories/authors
3) metadata of your "Selections".

 I have taken care of those points already: I read the folders and
search for files with similar endings to detect variants of the same
gradient. For the authors and selections I copied the information from
your main page and the collections pages.

But in the future it would be useful to others to have this
information in xml files. If you like I could send you the code, and
you could integrate it into your work - although it's c++ with QT. Or
I could generate an xml file and send it to you.

Etienne