[Qgis-developer] color ramps improvements

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Aug 3 08:58:07 PDT 2012

Il 03/08/2012 17:33, Etienne Tourigny ha scritto:
> this is done in python - which has builtin functionality for unzipping files.
>
> It might be better to invest in a plugin which can download the file
> as well as look for updates periodically. Jim is working on some
> python code to do that.
I think mimicking the installer behaviour (possibly sharing code with
it) would be the way to go: having a list of the ramps, with a
description and/or a preview, and making it possible to download them,
individually or (better IMHO) by group.

>> ok, let's start:
>> - at least one DEM
>> - one batymetry
>> - a red, a green,and a blue scale
>> - one "semaphore" (green to red through yellow)
>> - two other diverging
>> - more?
>> Maybe we could make a poll? I'm sure specific sectors have their
>> requirements.
> would be nice. can you lead this effort starting from next week?
I can do something on this for a couple of days next week. Help will be
appreciated, as I'll not be able to keep on the work afterwards.
The problem with a poll is the large number of ramps.Perhaps we can just
ask qgis-users ML to send us their preferred ramps?
> you mean the transparency is not applied?
yes, I just see a rectangle, sometimes white, sometimes red.
> yes - it might be nice to have items for creating new elements inside
> each box? I mean one for each type: *new gradient* *new random* *new
> CollorBrewer* *new cpt-city*
BTW, ColorBrewer and cpt-city are meaningless to the average user:
better give more standard names.
> I guess I should add a property to each gradient relative vs. absolute
agreed. how to choose absolute values then?
>> IMHO the default interpolation should be linear, not discrete.
> should that be a user-selectable default by project or global?
having too many selection makes life complicated for the user.
if we really think it is necessary, we can hide in and Advanced options
panel.
> ok - but that is only a small selection from the cpt-city site
I realized this after writing - can we add the missing info for the
grouping?
Much more neat and usable IMHO.
All the best.

--