[Qgis-developer] color ramps improvements

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:52:03 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 03/08/2012 17:33, Etienne Tourigny ha scritto:
>> this is done in python - which has builtin functionality for unzipping files.
>>
>> It might be better to invest in a plugin which can download the file
>> as well as look for updates periodically. Jim is working on some
>> python code to do that.
> I think mimicking the installer behaviour (possibly sharing code with
> it) would be the way to go: having a list of the ramps, with a
> description and/or a preview, and making it possible to download them,
> individually or (better IMHO) by group.

that's very complex, I'm not willing to do that sorry.

The most I could do is prepare a "free-to-distribute" selection that
could be either inclueded in QGis or downloaded, and allow to download
the entire database from the cpt-city website, as well as having a
means to get a minimal list (probably the same as the
"free-to-distribute" selection.

>>> ok, let's start:
>>> - at least one DEM
>>> - one batymetry
>>> - a red, a green,and a blue scale
>>> - one "semaphore" (green to red through yellow)
>>> - two other diverging
>>> - more?
>>> Maybe we could make a poll? I'm sure specific sectors have their
>>> requirements.
>> would be nice. can you lead this effort starting from next week?
> I can do something on this for a couple of days next week. Help will be
> appreciated, as I'll not be able to keep on the work afterwards.
> The problem with a poll is the large number of ramps.Perhaps we can just
> ask qgis-users ML to send us their preferred ramps?

it might be a bit early for this, as the feature was pushed today only

>> you mean the transparency is not applied?
> yes, I just see a rectangle, sometimes white, sometimes red.
>> yes - it might be nice to have items for creating new elements inside
>> each box? I mean one for each type: *new gradient* *new random* *new
>> CollorBrewer* *new cpt-city*
> BTW, ColorBrewer and cpt-city are meaningless to the average user:
> better give more standard names.
>> I guess I should add a property to each gradient relative vs. absolute
> agreed. how to choose absolute values then?
>>> IMHO the default interpolation should be linear, not discrete.
>> should that be a user-selectable default by project or global?
> having too many selection makes life complicated for the user.
> if we really think it is necessary, we can hide in and Advanced options
> panel.

no bother then. I'll put this as a thing to fix on a wiki page I'm preparing:

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/ColorRamps

>> ok - but that is only a small selection from the cpt-city site
> I realized this after writing - can we add the missing info for the
> grouping?
> Much more neat and usable IMHO.

I don't understand what you mean - there should be more files in the
groupings? Or info (what info?)

Etienne