[Qgis-developer] Building QGIS in Mac OS X (Mountain Lion i.e. 10.8) with QtSQL support

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Aug 3 18:02:32 PDT 2012

Noli,

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we still need cmake for building QGIS Mac OS X when using QtSDK (i.e. qmake)?
>
> This instruction below.

Yes CMake is necessary. qmake is used to query where Qt components are
installed. See results of:

qmake -query

CMake is the system used to aid in the cross-platform compiling of the
C++ code QGIS is written in and uses the information provided by qmake
during its configure process. qmake is not used for this purpose, like
when compiling other Qt programs. Though, I'm not sure if qmake is
used for anything else in the compiling process.

If it doesn't say 'optional' in the INSTALL notes, it's not. INSTALL
is up-to-date and accurate, excepting anything that might pop up
during Mt. Lion testing. Also, INSTALL is the most up-to-date
document, with other sources possibly helpful with problems
encountered, i.e. use INSTALL as your guide.

One thing that might be good to add to the Mac OS X INSTALL notes is
optional install of ccache, currently only noted for Linux installs:
3.4. Setup ccache (Optional). It installs and works fine on Mac.

Since it takes some time to compile QGIS, ccache offers a significant
speedup on subsequent compiling, especially if you do not switch git
branches. However, I recommend you get QGIS compiled first before
adding optional ccache support.

Larry

> Copied from Building QGIS for Mac OSX (below)
>
> #######
>   5.3. Install CMake for OSX
>   ==========================
>
> Get the latest source release from here:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
>
> Binary installers are available for OS X, but they are not recommended
> (2.4 versions install in /usr instead of /usr/local, and 2.6+ versions are a
> strange application). Instead, download the source.
> NOTE: 2.8.5 is broken for detecting part of Qt. Fixed in 2.8.6.
> Double-click the source tarball, then cd to the source folder and:
>
>   ./bootstrap --docdir=/share/doc/CMake --mandir=/share/man
>   make
>   sudo make install
>
> ###########
>
> Noli
>
> On 8/4/12, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>> Noli,
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How can I incorporate qmake in my system?
>>>
>>> It seems that I can't use qmake in my terminal right now.
>>
>> This is because the place where qmake is installed with the SDK is not
>> in your PATH environment variable.
>>
>> You will need to edit ~/.bash_profile (create if not there yet) and
>> add the path to the 'bin' you noted to the PATH variable:
>>
>> export PATH=/path/to/sdk/bin:$PATH
>>
>> Then, log in to a new Terminal session (e.g. restart Terminal). qmake
>> will be found and can be used in compiling.
>>
>> Read 'man bash' for more details on its config files.
>>
>> I will be available on #qgis channel on irc.freenode.net most of the
>> day today, if you want more help (nickname of 'dakcarto').
>>
>> Larry
>>

>>> See this logs.
>>>
>>> ######
>>>
>>> Last login: Sat Aug  4 08:56:51 on ttys004
>>> Nolis-MacBook-Pro:bin nsicad$ qmake --help
>>> -bash: qmake: command not found
>>> Nolis-MacBook-Pro:bin nsicad$ ls
>>> Designer.app            moc                     qt3to4
>>> Linguist.app            pixeltool.app           qttracereplay.app