[Qgis-developer] Building QGIS in Mac OS X (Mountain Lion i.e. 10.8) with QtSQL support

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Aug 5 11:43:35 PDT 2012

Hi John,

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM, John C. Tull <jctull at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>
>> Note: Xcode.app now contains all dev directory structure, and you can
>> use xcrun to work with it, but I preferred to install the command line
>> tools. You will probably want to uninstall any previous XCode version
>> first. I used the .dmg installers downloaded from my Apple developer
>> account, instead of Mac App Store. Not sure if the command line tools
>> (115 MB dl) can be installed, and work, without installing Xcode.app
>> (1.8 GB dl), since I installed Xcode.app first.
>
> You can install the command line tools from the app store version of Xcode. Open Xcode, then open Preferences and click on the 'Downloads' section at the top. You will see Command Line Tools as an install option from there.

Yes, I believe that was in the stackoverflow link I mentioned. I did
further tests to see if the CL Tools could be used independent from
Xcode.app (like it says on Apple's web site). However, there is no SDK
for 10.7 or 10.8 with the Tools, only embedded in Xcode.app (3.3 GB
installed on disk), and the Tools use those.

I think Apple has really made a mess of things, by requiring Xcode.app
and moving all dev structure inside of the app bundle - probably all
in the name of 'convenience' for new devs.

So, for now, the QGIS build notes for Mac should continue to recommend
full install of Xcode.app, IMHO.

Regards,

Larry