[Qgis-developer] color ramp manager

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 06:55:28 PDT 2012

Hi Tim

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi Etienne
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> actually when the files are extracted via python, the permissions are
>> ok, so this won't be a problem in upgrades. It seems that python zip
>> does not respect zipfile permissions and creates files with read+write
>> permissions. But it won't hurt to change the permissions in the zip
>> files.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM, J.J.Green <j.j.green at gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Actually I think this problem will recur at the next update,
>>> those COPYING files are read-only since they are version
>>> controlled (in the master copy).
>>>
>>> I will do a recursive chmod on the zipfile contents so that
>>> everything is 644 and upload new files -- this will mean that
>>> anyone who has installed by this method will need to remove
>>> ~/.qgis/cpt-city dir and update again ...
>>>
>>> I will mail the list when this is done
>>>
>>> -j
>>> --
>>> J.J. Green
>>> http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/jjg/

> The refactor to support raster colour ramps is awesome stuff! It is
> still very hard to find anything useful from the cpt chooser. I almost
> wonder if it wouldnt be better to show them graphically in a long list
> with the gradient name next to each.

glad you like it!

I added a small preview for each entry, but still in the tree list -
there are 100 directories, each with quite a few gradients! Not sure
if we can present everything in a single page!
I'll be working on different ways to present them, all feedback is good!

How about the selection list, that group a selection of popular
gradients by categories?

> Also would you mind making these available by default (if licensing
> allows). Apologies if it is already in your last commit - I am still
> using hte manual extracted cpt set.

The plugin I created grabs the .zip file from the cpt-city site. There
are still a few things to sort out before we can legally distribute
the files. We have to make a list of the ones which allow
re-distribution (most of them do). Also we should probably make a
selection, because the full list is like 4MB in zip, and much more
when unzipped.

Do you have any idea how we could distribute some of these files? By
default with qgis, as a seperate package (say qgis-gradients), or as a
zip file that the plugin could grab, hosted on qgis.org?
Another option would be to create gradients that are available in the
style manager, but we have to make sure we don't violate any licenses,

Etienne