[Qgis-developer] tests FAILED:, 19 - qgis_stylev2test

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:06:12 PDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 18. Aug 2012 at 16:28:56 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Etienne Tourigny
>> <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Someone disabled this test, but this needs to be fixed.
>
> me.
>
>> Thanks Etienne - I agree it is better to leave broken tests rather
>> than disable them as they indicate something isnt working as it
>> should.
>
> I don't see a point in testing stuff, we know will fail.

In that case - what is the point of testing stuff?

That is why you have "expected_fail" tests in qt, although this if for
bugs that will remain for some time.

> But when disabling the test, I also added a comment to the TODO in core, where
> the offending code is, saying the test should be re-enabled once the problem is
> resolved.
>
> As this seems to be work in progress anyway, I didn't bother to file a
> ticket...

The error is actually a regression caused by the improvements and
changes to the style manager (not improvements to color ramps per say)
- existing color ramps cannot be saved/loaded any more.

The point of doing tests is to flag any regressions and make them
visible (at least that's how I see it).

> I'd opt for not re-enabling the test before core is fixed.

sorry I don't agree - errors should appear until they are fixed. If
you remove them the day they are flagged, they can get forgotten.

Cheers
Etienne