[Qgis-developer] Python support in project file

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Aug 21 12:58:46 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012, Giuseppe Sucameli wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >  - There seems to be a margin around the map canvas now. That wasn't
> > there before.
>
> ok, I see it now :)
>
> >  - If there are no marcos in the project file I wouldn't show the
> warning bar.
>
> When the checkbox is unchecked it doesn't show the warning bar,
> I'll also check if the textbox is empty.
>
> >  - Might be good to have a "more info" hyperlink so that people can
> > understand what it really means
>
> A link to the help page, sure it's a good thing.
>
> >  - Would be nice if we can to have a Enable Always button with a drop
> > down menu with "Always for all projects" and "Always for just this
> > project" (don't have it popup a dialog asking if they are sure just
> > save it they can always change it after)
>
> Even if I don't like the enable always option as it might cause
> security issues, I thought to put just one checkbox in the setting
> dialog to make macros always enabled.
>
> I don't imagine how to make the "always enable macros
> for just this project" option working.
> Projects don't have a identifier like layers and I guess the path is
> not a good choice because the project file could be replaced
> and the user could easily be wrong.

Really nice addition. I have a couple of suggestions.

Whether the warning appears seems to be keyed off of the recent opened
files listing. Since that evetually will cause the user to see the warning
again (once their project is removed from that listing), would it be better
to keep a listing of projects (at least by file name, not path) in the app
settings that have been allowed to run macros? Possibly in addition to the
recently opened check?

> What do you think?
>
> >  - Might need to make the icon have a transparent icon background :)
>
> The icon is the one used for the message logger (displayed
> bottom-right when in Debug mode), of course that white
> background has to be removed. We also need a icon for
> the close button (x) and icons for the other 2 levels of
> messages, i.e. critical and information.

For a cleaner look for the message bar, I created two svg icons output to
png, one for the warning and one for close [0]. Also, the Enable action is
more of a link. Basically, removing the tool button backgrounds via a
stylesheet and having the cursor change as expected for web page links
allows for the focus of the bar to be the message, not the button actions.

[0] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/message-bar.png

Opinions are welcome!

The order of QgsMessageBar instance being created comes before the theme
(soon to be deprecated anyway?) is set.

The changes I have suggested are available as an addition to your branch
uploaded to my github repository [1].

[1]
https://github.com/dakcarto/Quantum-GIS/commit/5a1500cc6e0d8a8965d17884e107bb3e22b77182

Larry Shaffer