[Qgis-developer] Large raster (ecw) identify very long

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 03:19:32 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM, haubourg
<regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm ready to support developpement now, so let's undig a topic discussed
> previously here:
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4594 http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4594
>
> Identify for very large ecw (from 1 to 100 Go - 1 080 000 * 1 090 000
> pixels) is extremely long (more than 1min) and results to memory leak.  Very
> often, this only gives a useless RGB info because ecw are orthophotos or
> topographic scans.
>
> This is a problem if identify mode queries all layers under mouse clic.
>
> 1 - Memory leak can be solved by disabling Gdal cache for ecw says Nathan.*
> Do you confirm ? Can you give more details so that I write a contract for
> it? *

QGIS is using GDALRasterIO() which reads a single pixel on original
resolution. AFAIK, ECW is using tiles internally so it should be all
very fast. I can imagine 2 problems:

- the tiles in ECW file are too big - can you verify somehow how big
are the tiles?

- GDAL is reading bigger portion of data than necessary (cc to GDAL list)

Is it drawing of the raster also so slow (on raster resolution zoom)?

Radim