[Qgis-developer] Aruns work: hierarchical SVG symbol display issue

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Aug 23 04:59:42 PDT 2012

 Hi Arun,

 Thanks for your reply.

 On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:53:10 +0530, aruntheguy at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Neumann,
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Andreas Neumann  wrote:
>
>> The only issue I have with the current solution is that it takes a
>> long time (in my case about 10 seconds) to load all the symbols
>> (hundreds of them in my case). Wouldn't it be faster to only load
>> the first folder or even better no symbols at all until the user is
>> opening/clicking on one of the folders?
>
> The default display of all symbols is to provide a way to see all the
> symbols when no folder is clicked. I guess that makes it a lengthy.

 ok - is there anything we can do here? Add an option not to load all
 symbols by default?

 I expect the symbol list to grow larger and larger, and speed is an
 issue here.

 With my setup I have to wait around 10 seconds when I load the SVG
 symbols for the first time, when loading it subsequently in the same
 session it is maybe 1 second faster (8-9 seconds). Certainly not a lot
 of speed gain from the caching?

 As my list of symbol grows I expect the number of symbols to double or
 triple, which would mean I would have to wait 20-30 seconds each time I
 want to select an SVG symbol.

 Is there really no faster way to implement this? Only load the folder
 with symbols I am interested in? When I work on a project around gaz and
 water I am not interested in symbols for leisure activities at all ...

>> The other question is: are those symbols cached, once they are
>> loaded? I don't see any speed increases the second time I load these
>> SVG symbols.
>
> Yes, there is a SVG cache being created and reused. You should be
> definitely seeing reduced load times on second loads. I am a bit lost
> how that doesn't occur.

 really strange. I don't see a lot of speed gain from the cache. I can't
 even see if there is an advantage of the cache at all.

> But note that the cache is not persistent, so it cannot remember
> between the sessions.

 thats ok.

 Thanks for any additional information / ideas around this problem.

 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)