[Qgis-developer] WPS server

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:43:29 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM, rldhont <rldhont at gmail.com> wrote:

>  My idea was to have a simple WPS server based on QGIS-Server, very
> simple for simple vector case, and I thought it's a good idea. I only need
> to validate geometry, constructing simple buffer or intersection.
>
> For big processing, I think SEXTANTE is better suitable, but for a WPS
> serveur, SEXTANTE didn't need QGIS. We can construct a WPS Server based on
> pySextante with pyWPS.
>
> I don't really want to hack QgsExpression, just accesses to very simple
> processing, I'll just it. For SEXTANTE, It will be better to work on
> someting based on pyWPS.

I don't think PyWPS would be a good choice for WPS server implementation.
>From a broader view, PyWPS does the same thing as SEXTANTE does: it allows
users to run processes and it allows developers to provide custom
processes. The main difference is that PyWPS processing is meant to be
triggered by WPS requests, while SEXTANTE processing may be triggered by
anything (currently mainly GUI). On the backend side, PyWPS supports GRASS,
while SEXTANTE offers much more by default. It's true that one could attach
SEXTANTE to PyWPS and let QGIS server call PyWPS all the time, but that
would bring just additional limitations.

In fact, the server-side WPS support could be implemented directly within
SEXTANTE, the only thing that would QGIS server do would be to pass WPS
request to SEXTANTE routine and send its response back to server.

So the bottom line from my point of view:
SEXTANTE +1
QgsExpression -1
PyWPS -1

Regards