[Qgis-developer] Legend group API

Massimo Endrighi massimo.endrighi at geopartner.it
Tue Dec 11 07:42:08 PST 2012

Sandro Santilli-2 wrote
> I think Martin ideas is sensible and I do see the code is going
> in that direction. But even if the classes are decoupled from
> the QT tree widget we'll need a way to identify groups, as much
> as we do with layers (which do have an ID). I've no problem with
> all elements (be them layers or groups or whatever) share the
> same "id space" but each one should have an identifier which
> remains valid for the whole lifetime of that object.

Please keep in mind that it is also necessary to be able to:
- move/put a layer into a sub group (not only a top level item as it was in
1.8)
- remove a sub group (not only a top level item as it was in 1.8)
- move a layer before or after another layer inside the same group
- walk thought the legend hierarchy even when there are sub groups and
multiple group with the same name (the groupLayerRelationship is unusable in
some circumstances)

See also previous  threads:
-  index-in-self-legend-groupLayerRelationship-different-behavior
<http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/index-in-self-legend-groupLayerRelationship-different-behavior-between-QGIS-1-8-and-master-td5004337.html#a5006614>
-  QgsLegendInterface-implementation-works-only-on-top-level-items
<http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/QgsLegendInterface-implementation-works-only-on-top-level-items-td4999348.html>

Massimo.