[Qgis-developer] Convert core plugins into core features

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 03:52:04 PST 2012

> I would like to propose that we move, over time of course, most of the
> core plugins into the core feature set itself and discourage core
> plugin building.

Hey!

Many good points.
And fully agree .. "core plugins" sounds like a testbed for functions
that have to be tested before integrating them into core itself..
Plugins are Plugins and although we should test them too before
providing a plugin is always an extra work to be installed.
So beside the things you already pointed out I would also vote for
integrating cpp "plugins" that are "common" functions into core (well
basically they are already integrated - but called plugins ;) )
IMHO that leads into some GUI redesign (which is always on the move) but
we should think about where to put this things (SEXTANTE?) AND ..
personally I'd like to get rid of all the "space taking" icons that
appear whenever I download/activate a new plugin.
Would it make sense to ask the user if he wants an icon somewhere or
just have the function in the menu?

Furthermore that leads me to "user defined function bars" .. I'd like to
create a bar (is it called like that?) with my own defined
functions/icons that is the only bar that appears on the Desktop. Do you
think this is possible to do?

kind regards and merry christmas (I know I am late)

Werner