[Qgis-developer] Composer redesign

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:06:21 EST 2012

Hi all,

Tonight I did some tweaking to the composer window.  A few things had been
bugging me a for a while now and I decided I would have a go at fixing some
of them, or at least try to anyway.

The general changes are:

   - Redesign the composition (general) tab to remove the need
   to vertical scroll, in most cases. (Not a perfect redesign but it works IMO
   much better then the old layout)
   - Remove wasted space around paper area and widget (see picture[1] vs
   your install to see the difference)
   - Convert the split widget + tab widget to QDockWidgets. 1) The splitter
   didn't remember its last position or state 2) Could only view one tab at a
   time 3) The main QGIS window uses dock widgets to allow flexibility in
   screen layout, composer should too. 4) Can't hide tabs if you don't need to
   see them all the time e.g. command history . Using dock widgets solves all
   of these issues.

The current working branch can be found at
https://github.com/NathanW2/Quantum-GIS/tree/composer-redesign

I have also attached [1] an annotated screen shot if you don't want
to compile the branch.

If I could get some general feeback and testing that would be good, keep in
mind it's not a final copy and I will tweak things as I go.

I'm currently adding it so the dock windows remember the state, just like
the main QGIS dock widgets, but that isn't in the branch yet.

[1] http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/composer1026.png/

Thanks,
Nathan