[Qgis-developer] Composer redesign

James Stott James.Stott at npaconsult.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 07:50:22 EST 2012

The new composer works fine for me. Nice changes - I like the new layout. It's really good to see the composer getting some work on it.

Nathan, just out of interest do you know how much effort it would take to implement the following:

1)	Text over two lines for legend item text
2)	Tick boxes to allow you to turn off the following in the vector legend on a composer:
	a.	Title text
	b.	Group text
	c.	Layer text

Number 1 above is really holding us back from producing our maps straight from QGIS. Some of the text that we have to put in legends is too long to go on one line, and just goes off the edge of the page.

2c above, we do not always want to show text for a layer name (Layer Text) but would rather show the text next to the swatch sample on the legend (i.e. Item Text in the legend). At the moment to work around this we have to set the layer name to nothing and use one of the rule based renderers to get text into the item text. The downside with this is that if you want to do anything with the layers (i.e. use them in any of the tools within QGIS); you cannot see the layer name in any of the drop down menus as we have set this to nothing. Having the ability to turn off the Layer text in the legend would enable us to give layers names, but not have them show up on the legend.

James

James Stott BSc (Hons) MSc | Senior Professional
Nicholas Pearson Associates | 30 Brock Street | Bath | BA1 2LN
T: 01225 445548 | M: -
http://www.npaconsult.co.uk/