[Qgis-developer] Slow raster loading

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 04:38:32 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Computing stats should be a once off event since I adapted the gdal
> provider to use gdal native stats. Is your experience on first load or
> on subsequent loads too?
>
> I am not sure it is so easy to avoid collecting stats. We used to have
> some logic that set stats to be only collected when they were needed,
> I'll need to check if that is still the case or not (but I suspect
> not).

Tim,

IMO we would should really thread these operations, and report the progress
to the user in a friendly cancel-able way.  If the user doesn't care about
stats, which to me when loading something that is just for viewing is most
of the time, QGIS should just say "stats not loaded" and show the file
anyway. If you want to get the stats again we should have a recalculate
stats button, with threading and progress bar.

I had a person email me today (a council trying to me to QGIS) about trying
to load a 2gb ecw and it just locks up the UI with no idea of how much is
left to be done or what is going on. I have experienced the same thing but
managed to get around it by making a fake stats file, QGIS then just opens
thinking the stats are fine.

- Nathan