[Qgis-developer] Add QScintilla2 PyQt module to QGIS Distributions?

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Feb 10 14:34:14 EST 2012

Hi Larry

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have incorporated the GPL-licensed QScintilla2 [1] PyQt text editor
> widget into my QGIS app stack to accomplish a plugin I am almost ready
> to release[2]. Adding support for QScintilla2 on Ubuntu was as simple
> as apt-get of libqscintilla2 and python-qscintilla2. On the Mac, It
> requires adjustment of the CMake build steps and bundling of the PyQt
> Qsci.so and libqscintilla2.8.dylib into the resultant .app (which I
> have done, as I built and tested the plugin on a Mac). Not sure what
> to do on Windows, as I don't develop on that platform.
>
> What would it entail to get the QScintilla2 PyQt module added to QGIS
> distributions? I can submit my build notes for Mac OS X adjustments as
> a pull request for review. What about the other distributions?
>
> My opinion is that releasing QGIS with the pre-built addition of this
> PyQt editor widget (~1 MB compressed) for use by developers, to add
> embedded text editors, would be very beneficial.

I don't know what others think, but I for one would love to see your
plugin ship with QGIS by default (ie. have it incorporated into core).
Doing so would of course simultaneously resolve your request above.

By the way we have been mulling over updating the plugin template to
do the following:

- pep8 compliance
- pylint friendly
- ship with a unit test framework
- ship with a ready to roll sphinx project

Regards

Tim

> [1] http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/qscintilla/intro
> [2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/plugin_editor.png