[Qgis-developer] Add QScintilla2 PyQt module to QGIS Distributions?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Feb 8 18:45:39 EST 2012

Hi,

I have incorporated the GPL-licensed QScintilla2 [1] PyQt text editor
widget into my QGIS app stack to accomplish a plugin I am almost ready
to release[2]. Adding support for QScintilla2 on Ubuntu was as simple
as apt-get of libqscintilla2 and python-qscintilla2. On the Mac, It
requires adjustment of the CMake build steps and bundling of the PyQt
Qsci.so and libqscintilla2.8.dylib into the resultant .app (which I
have done, as I built and tested the plugin on a Mac). Not sure what
to do on Windows, as I don't develop on that platform.

What would it entail to get the QScintilla2 PyQt module added to QGIS
distributions? I can submit my build notes for Mac OS X adjustments as
a pull request for review. What about the other distributions?

My opinion is that releasing QGIS with the pre-built addition of this
PyQt editor widget (~1 MB compressed) for use by developers, to add
embedded text editors, would be very beneficial.

[1] http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/qscintilla/intro
[2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/plugin_editor.png

Best regards,

Larry Shaffer