[Qgis-developer] GSoC ideas

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Thu Feb 23 19:15:59 EST 2012

Something that has been mentioned by a few people, and would probably be very popular, I described like this:

"Vector editing/geoprocessing tools or whatever they are called, like the ones found in the Mapinfo 'Object' menu - i.e. similar to ftools, but taking sets of selected features as inputs, instead of whole layers."
http://woostuff.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/the-things-i-would-like-to-see-in-qgis-what-are-yours/
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2011-May/012041.html

Later in that second thread someone also mentioned the following; I think other people have also made similar requests/suggestions:

"I guess implementing topology rules and visualizing the existing errors would be a way to identify and correct problems like polygon overlapping.  It might already exist some code."

This second idea would probably require more research and thinking about exactly what to do.

I think both these ideas are complementary, and could perhaps be done in a single project.  But I guess they are also features that might be able to attract other sponsors - you might think it is better to use Google money to do something which is unlikely to get sponsorship otherwise.

Regards,
Alister

Somebody started working on a plugin similar to this (early last year I think), but it didn't get very far.