[Qgis-developer] Postgis provider, add and modify linestring

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 23 10:28:25 EST 2012

 On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:49:36 +0100, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Thanks a lot for you quick replies.
>
>  I'll try to resume.
>
>  1. Insertion of linestrings.
>  In my opinion, right-click to finish with adding new node is not
> great. I like consistency, and have left to add, right to finish is
> much more consistent. And one more right click is quicker than
> canceling the last added point ;) Andreas: in the example you shown,
> there is no one which used the same as qgis. But it might sounds like
> a bad idea to change a software behavior?

 well - as I said. I do not have strong feelings about it. I am not an
 operator, so I am not personally affected ;-) no - more seriously. Do
 you really think it would be that hard for your people to use the
 different behavior? At the beginning it will be strange - I agree - but
 I have the feeling that people get used to it quickly.

>  2. Have to commit to see the newly added features.
>  Yes this is really strange, it used to work, but since a few days
> (don't remenber when) I have to commit changes.n (see video)

 that sounds like a bug. I will try to replicate at later with the
 current trunk. I did not see this behavior before.

>  3. Remove node.
>  Ok, got it, thanks.

 good

>  4. Add node.
>  Cannot have it working. A node is added but in the previous segment.
> And I cannot move it. (see same video)

 to add a node you double click on a line segment and than you can move
 it. Does this work?

>  5. Having some experience with cad softwares, I must say I don't
> think it's a great idea to have a single action (or icon) for adding,
> deleting, moving nodes. It leads to a much more complex action. I.e.,
> for adding a node: double clicking - selecting node - moving it
> without releasing button - release button instead of clicking -
> moving
> - clicking.
>  I'll see with the drawers, but I am pretty sure they would like
> single buttons.

 well - but on the other hand you don't have to change tools all the
 time. I personally prefer the way QGIS does it because I can work with
 fewer tools. The path-tool in Inkscape and in Illustrator is a good
 example where one tool can actually handle all path shapes without
 having to change the tool. This is a big plus in my opinion. One can use
 keyboard modifiers and the different mouse buttons to change behavior of
 the path tool ...

 But again - with touchpads - it is a different story ...

 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)