[Qgis-developer] Rule based labeling

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:42:06 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> What I would need:
>
> if rule A applies, I'll have these font settings
> if rule B applies, I'll have these font settings
> etc.
>
> Also, it would be nice to have different labels for different scale ranges
> (e.g. different label text) for another scale range.
>
> How hard would it be to implement such rule-based labeling?

Hi Andreas

Nathan has outlined two possibilities here:
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/RuleBasedLabelingIdeas

Both have some pros and cons, both are doable. The scenario when
labeling rules are independent from layer symbology is probably more
straightforward to implement and easier to use with only few rules for
labels. On the other hand, if labels were attached to symbols, the
fine-grained labeling settings would not require duplicate rules for
symbology and labeling.

Regards
Martin