[Qgis-developer] [PROPOSAL] From srs.db to file-based CRS storage

Tyler Mitchell info at locatepress.com
Mon Jan 30 15:55:21 EST 2012

On 2012-01-30, at 11:58 AM, Alexander Bruy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently QGIS used srs.db to store projection definitions. But with
> this approach
> users can't reorganize CRS definitions as they want (always used predefined tree
> with predefined groups).

Instead, why not extend the current CRS look up tool to allow for custom folders,
re-ordering or "favourites"?  Ideally, create a CRS Manager app to do it. From
what I've seen most users (ok, maybe just me) won't use more CRS
than in their "recently used list" --which works well for me :)

Otherwise, your proposal seems to assume, you're going to have re-write
all the search/lookup and "custom CRS creation" functions instead.  Ouch.

My two cents worth, or even less,
Tyler