[Qgis-developer] osgeo

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jul 6 04:30:33 PDT 2012

On 07/06/2012 01:09 PM, Ramon Andiñach wrote:

>> Also, why is the standalone preferred to the osgeo?
>
> My understanding is that it isn't.
> It is "recommended for new users" because the installer behaves in the usual windows manner. The osgeo installer behaves quite differently to that.

Indeed I would think that the 'stand alone' installer is only for very
new (windows) users who want to get their feet wet with QGIS. The
OSGEO4W installer has some peculiarities, but actually creates a much
better environment/experience I would say.

To encourage QGIS users to use OSGEO4W installer instead we posted an
osgeo4w story recently (dutch/english and you are free to sent me a
translation or other input):

http://www.qgis.nl/2012/06/20/qgis-installeren-via-osgeo4w/?lang=en

I was hoping this is usefull for fresh Windows QGIS users :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde